Tuesday 6 March 2012

I See Sunshine....Sophie


We are having some lovely spring days here at the moment and our garden has started to show some signs of life.  Gaby and I on the other hand are very much resting! Gaby has another cold and I'm still not fully over my little tooth op.  The sun is shining though and the daffodils are out so I'm sharing some pictures and introducing our unique effort to have a garden!

I really enjoy gardening but family circumstances make it quite tricky to grow much.  (You can read about why that is over here on my other blog)!  A few years ago, I decided to do up the tiny bit of courtyard area we have fenced off from our main garden.  Gaby helped a lot with this and we regard it as our 'Secret Garden'!!


It is really shady down there and after 3 years of trial and error, we're getting to know what will grow and what won't!  Last year we had really good results with tomatoes, runner and french beans and courgettes.  We did potatoes in containers which worked well too but I don't think it was cost effective at all so I'm giving them a miss this year.  

We also have some raised beds at my mums house...


....and we are on the allotment waiting list.  Gaby also lets me use her bedroom as a greenhouse :)


We've had to improvise!

Here's what we are enjoying seeing pop up at the moment...

spring containers....


a very early variety of peas we are trying out....


and our roses, the only plants we can keep in our main garden, are coming back nicely after a ruthless pruning....


....with one of our cats, George :)


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of your secret garden. I have to fence the hens out of my kitchen garden as they will not let anything grow. They can still peer in so not really secret! Not sure how many potatoes you have to plant before it becomes cost effective. I just love digging fresh salad potatoes in the summer. Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete