Wednesday 30 May 2012

Garden Ramblings ~ Sophie


This year seems to be rushing by and what with illness and weather I had just not got myself together with the plans I had for the garden.  I didn't start any tomatoes, shock horror!  I am a bit fed up about this as I have been experimenting for a couple of years with the best way to grow them in our little, quite shady, garden.  Last year, I sowed the seeds very early, transferred them to raised beds under tunnels and positioned them slightly higher.  This seemed to do the trick - or it could have just been a good year for tomatoes, who knows?!  I may buy some plants this week, but because I've always grown them from seed, it feels like cheating!

After a couple of weeks of better weather, I now have planted,

spinach
peas
courgettes
runner beans
garlic
aubergine
peppers
a raspberry plant (just given to me, will see what happens!)
carrots
swiss chard
kohlrabi
lettuce
onions - 3 have grown lol!

I'm also going to put some french beans in pots in my mum's garden this week.  I've decided I need twice as many of both french and runners as I had last year.




My herbs which I started from seed last year are looking quite good.  These were...

parsley
lemon balm
sage
chives

In the picture below, the darker mint is a chocolate mint plant which was a present and smells wonderful!  I need to sort the other mint plant out as it didn't do much last year and I use it quite a bit.
 I've also got basil and oregano starting up in the 'attic greenhouse' (Gaby's room!).  I will probably keep my basil plants on the kitchen windowsill as I find this works better for me here, more sunshine :)


In other exciting garden news (for me anyway !), I have a flower coming on this Agapanthus plant which I rescued from our boys a few years ago.  After it had been unearthed on several occasions, I popped it in a pot and it's not done much since - until now whoop whoop!!


The weather has been so nice that even Willow has been outdoors, which is quite rare....





1 comment:

  1. Love this time of year when everything starts coming up. I have plants that really need planting out. I'm hoping for a break in the weather. We have the chocolate mint too. I chop it up into homemade ice cream and it tastes amazing.

    ReplyDelete