Saturday 2 November 2013

ARC October

I am more or less on time for this month's Artful Readers Club link-up. (I am actually 2 months behind but let's just ignore that for now)! The ARC can be found at 
http://art-and-sole.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/october-arc.html?m=1

When I chose my books back at the beginning of the year, I had just seen 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' by Laini Taylor whilst browsing the young adult section in Waterstones. I don't know why it caught my eye but it did and I added it to my list. I actually ended up listening to the audiobook version for this months book.

'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' begins in Prague where we are introduced to the main character, Karou. Karou is an art student with an unusual life. She is able to perform some small acts of magic or 'wishes' and has been raised by the, actually real, fantasy characters whom she is always drawing in her sketchbook. She performs tasks for one of these characters, Brimstone, although she does not fully understand what the purpose of the tasks, the collecting of teeth, is.

'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' is the first book in a trilogy and as it progresses Karou learns more and more about her life and where she is from. I found it totally enthralling and could not stop listening. (In fact, I downloaded book 2, 'Days of Blood and Starlight' straight after finishing it). The characters are fascinating and the storyline is really different and engaging. You can probably tell that I really loved it and would definitely recommend it!

My artwork is inspired by Karou's hamsa's, which is not something she understands at the beginning of the book, her blue hair and various other aspects of the mystery of Karou's life.

4 comments:

  1. Even without you saying, I could tell you enjoyed this book. It sounds enchanting. Your hamsa hand is divine. I drew one of these once, and mine didn't turn out nearly as good as yours, much less with the added goodies. I especially enjoyed what I perceived to be a necklace with a wishbone. Lovely art that coincides with a really nice book review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds fantastic but your art is outstanding. I enjoy the uniqueness you brought to a very popular image! I like the use of the horns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous and striking piece of artwork! I enjoyed reading your review and am pleased you enjoyed the book so much. It is great when we have a good review to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow love it when i read such an enthusiastic review. i will have to look out for this one, I think i would like it too. Great art, love the classic black and white against the blue.

    ReplyDelete